Employee engagement programme for an investment bank
The client: an international investment bank.
The challenge: this client was facing communications challenges with one of their largest divisions. Their people were demotivated, lacked focus and were under performing. Make Happy’s challenge was to understand why these problems were occurring and to devise a creative engagement and communications strategy to improve motivation and performance.
Our approach: To uncover what was happening within the division, we conducted:
- in-depth interviews with people from a variety functions and levels
- a series of workshops in the UK and internationally to develop new ideas and solutions, and to ensure the division’s people felt actively involved in the process
- immersion by embedding a team within the division to see how the working practices and culture were contributing to the problem
Our solution: A key finding from the research was that many people had no clear idea of their purpose within the bank and lacked a sense of the division’s identity. Therefore they did not feel part of a unified team and did not believe that they were making a valuable contribution.
We developed an 18-month communications plan to inform and inspire the division about the vital role they perform in the bank, the ultimate objectives of their work and to create a sense of pride in their division.
As a starting point, we created an organising idea, a guiding thought which underlies all communications. It is a message that can be owned by everyone and underpinned by everything they do. From this organising idea, all communications flow, ensuring consistency and clarity of messaging.
Stemming from the central, organising idea we developed a series of campaigns and initiatives to bring the idea to life in the minds of the bank’s people. These included:
- a scheduled programme of engaging, authentic and relevant communication from leadership to ensure people at all levels felt informed and included in the bank’s strategic progress
- an visual icon to represent the division globally
- an induction film to inspire new starters
- a global CSR initiative to improve teamwork and esteem
- an internal innovation programme using social media platforms
The results: a better informed and motivated division, higher performance and efficiency.